IIT Kharagpur is going to conduct the GATE CS 2022 exam in the coming days. Interested and Eligible Computer Science Graduates can secure admission to courses such as M.Tech, M.E, and Ph.D. to prestigious institutions like IITs, NITs, IIITs, and jobs in PSUs through GATE CS score.
Key Points to Keep in Mind While Attempting GATE CS Exam
As GATE CS exam dates are going to be announced in the coming days, therefore it is important for the candidates to start their exam preparation. Candidates should consider some of the important points during the early stage of the GATE Computer Science Exam Preparation.
With the idea of helping the aspirants, we have come up with this article to help our readers aspiring for the upcoming GATE CS Exam.
On that note, let’s discuss key points that the candidates must keep in mind while attempting the GATE CS Exam.
1. Exam Structure
Candidates must be well-aware of the exam pattern at the early strategy of their exam preparation. There are different types of questions available in the GATE CS exam such as Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT). Refer to the major highlights of the GATE Computer Science Exam Pattern discussed below in the following pointers:
- Question Type: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) & Numerical Answer Type (NAT)
- Total No of Question: 65 Questions
- Maximum Marks: 100 Marks
- Exam Duration: 3 hours
- Sections: General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics, and Subject Questions
- Marking Scheme: ⅓ marks will be deducted for 1 marks MCQ, ⅔ marks will be deducted for 2 marks MCQ, and No negative marking for incorrect response in NAT questions
2. Complete Knowledge of Course
Every candidate must be familiar with the syllabus so that they can crack the exam. GATE CS Syllabus will help the candidates in identifying important topics of each subject. Candidates can check the complete overview of the syllabus discussed below:
- General Aptitude: Verbal Aptitude, Quantitative Aptitude, Analytical Aptitude, and Spatial Aptitude
- Engineering Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics, Calculus, Linear Algebra, Probability & Statistics.
- Computer Science Engineering: Digital Logic, Computer Organization & Architecture, Programming & Data Structures, Algorithms, Theory of Computation, Compiler Design, Operating System, Databases, Computer Networks.
3. Section-wise Preparation Strategy
Every candidate should adopt certain preparation strategies and must implement those tactics in different sections during their preparation.
- When it comes to the General Aptitude Section, the candidates must practice from the previous year’s question paper and recommended books for this section. This section contains 10 questions and carries 15 marks. They should attempt 3-4 mock tests of Basic English Grammar and solve 2-3 data interpretation questions on a daily basis. This will help the candidates in understanding the exam format and solving the question in less time.
- Firstly, the candidates must go through and understand the syllabus of Engineering Mathematics in a detailed manner. This section carries 15 marks. Candidates must make a good strategy to build a grip on this section. They should practice questions like Set, Relations, Matrices, Probability, Calculus, Functions, and so on from previous year’s question papers and recommended books.
- Candidates must understand the topics and sub-topics of each section of Computer Science Engineering thoroughly. They must be familiar with the difficulty level and the marking scheme of this section. The difficulty level of each section may vary so the candidates need to allocate the correct amount of time to different sections as per the weightage. Aspirants should solve mock tests and quizzes on a regular basis to analyze the level of preparation in this section.
4. Usage of Online Resources
There are various online preparation platforms that provide free and paid study resources for exam preparation. Candidates should select the best online platform and prepare online with the study material, ebooks, mock tests, and etc. The best part is that they can access the enrolled course any time and anywhere. Infact, they can check youtube for the online classes of the courses. Aspirants should take the advantage of the several study resources available online in order to ensure a smooth preparation process.